Old Ball Game

Saturday, October 3, 2009

How to Make an American Quilt

After watching the movie "How to Make an American Quilt", it reminded me of one those remnants of memories I have from being very young. I remember seeing a quilt hanging from the ceiling of my grandmother's house and people doing the quilting part of it. It was memorable to see everyone sitting around there and starting from the center and working their way to the edges. This could have been one of those I watched being made.




If you will look to the left bottom you will see where you can now even see through it because of the holes where it has been worn out. I don't think some of my relatives understand why I want these quilts more than the newer "prettier" ones.



There is something about it being hand made by many different women working together. I remember my great-grandmother Putman sitting there at least on one occasion. She was born before 1900 and gave birth to a 14 pound baby BEFORE EPIDURALS--and survived... she wasn't a big lady and was only about 14 or 15 years old. WOW...

Look at all of the stitches needed for the one above... --then came the quilting stitches... Lots of dedication and patience.

Another one with lots of wear and tear from the ages.


This is one that my Mom made for Mark and me. Our names are on the two corners.
This is Seth's quilt. His favorite color was yellow growing up. He pronounced it "lellow" as he couldn't pronounce his "Y" sound.




This is my favorite newer one. I like the donkeys-or jack a$$'s you might say! There is one for each just for each of the males in my family...ha! ha! (You know that there isn't one for me... :) )

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures of the quilts. I am always amazed that someone can take the time to cut out all those pieces and then sew them into something so special.

    ReplyDelete